How to write a proposal:
follow a simple step-by-step process
This site has one purpose – to show you how to write a proposal more easily and effectively. We’ve deliberately kept the process simple. Here’s why:
One – you’re probably an entrepreneur with your own small business. If you’re like me you already have more than enough on your plate. You do the work and the marketing. You write a proposal to generate new business. The proposal process has to be simple.
Two – your clients are usually in the same boat. They’re pressed for time. If they ask you for a business proposal, they want it as clean and straightforward as possible. Sure they may want something creative, but you’d better be able to explain your proposal simply and easily.
How do I get started with this proposal?
There it is – a piece of paper sitting in front of you from a client you really want to do business with. They need a proposal in ten days. That’s a miracle in itself. You have time! I’ve known clients who wanted a business proposal first thing in the morning. No, you don’t want to pull an all-nighter. It’s exhausting. Some claim that’s when you do your best work thanks to adrenalin. Not good for your health though.
What you do want is a proposal process that’s easy to follow. That’s the aim of this website and How to Write Proposals, Sales Letters & Reports. If we can show you how to write a proposal via an easy proposal process and have you follow it step by step, would it be of value to you? With a little luck you won’t find yourself backtracking, or reworking because there were steps you left out.
Where possible, have someone help you with your proposal
We’re funny creatures we humans. So often we think we can do it alone – especially men. We don’t need help or input from anyone else. We don’t even invite help from others. If you’re a one person business, that’s often the case. I just happen to believe that another pair of eyes can be very helping in putting a proposal together that’s better than anything you can do on your own.
Read the articles - they'll help your proposal writing
The articles on this website, as well as our book How to Write Proposals, Sales Letters & Reports
have consistently addressed the message of what's involved in how to write a simple business proposal. We want to keep it simple. We want to keep you focused and
we want to help you build your business. That's what this site is all about.
- About us
- About Us provides information onThe NS Group and author Neil Sawers
- Contact us
- For information on The NS Group and author Neil Sawers, click on contact us.
- Types of proposal
- There are many types of proposal, from formal RFPs and grant proposals, to more informal business, project, sales and marketing proposals. This website focuses on the latter.
- format elements
- When writing the proposal I follow a particular format or sequence. Try it! It might work for you.
- Writing process
- This writing process provides a pathway to make proposal writing easier and more effective
- writing tools
- There are some great writing tools thar can help anyone develop and write a better proposal. These tools include brainstorming and especially mind mapping.
- Download this free chapter
- Download this PDF of the Discovery Process chapter. It's perhaps the most important chapter in the book.
- Useful articles to help you write better proposals and better business writing generally
- Proposals book
- <i>How to Write Proposals, Sales Letters & Reports</i>, our proposals book, expands on this website to give you greater understanding and more examples.